Wednesday 8 August 2007

The Tufty Club

Does anyone remember the road safety scheme The Tufty Club? I can't remember when it was stopped, it must have been over 25 years ago or perhaps the two ladies I met today never went. On my way into work this morning I noticed this lady crossing the road, she looked around and watched me driving towards her, I slowed down. Now, if you're crossing the road and a car is coming, you are left with two choices, go forward or go back (but quickly). She decide to keep on walking at a speed that would have been more suited to the catwalk . She held her head high and wiggled. Blonde hair, 6 inch stilettos, (Not that I took that much notice) mutton dressed as mutton need I say more? Whats more why do people when crossing the road don't take the straight route, they seem to go diagonally (A to B the shortest route dear) On the return trip as I got to the Oldpark Road number two was crossing the road with her two kids. She had one by the hand and the other running behind her. I stopped and let them cross as the traffic behind me was very heavy, and the three cars in front had stopped 15 feet away at a pedestrian crossing, why use it I suppose when you can use your kids as part of a traffic calming scheme.
Wise up people.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

If you want to see some really interesting ways to cross the road...or as I prefer to call it....ways to almost get killed.....you should stand outside the Crown Bar on Great Victoria Steet. You will see people running across the road in front of cars...forcing cars to slow down...and lots of other scarey things that would just make you want to hit people with a very large stick.

You should try it some morning around 9am ish - just around the time a train arrives at Great Victoria.

bubblesqueaker said...

shows you are getting old! Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code man?

People say that kids are the worst crossing the road - rubbish!! It's people who are texting or listening to their ipods and not paying attention crossing the road!